I was recently invited by Princess Cruises for a special day onboard their beautiful Royal Princess. It was just ahead of her fifth birthday. Her godmother is Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge and almost 5 years to the date I stepped on her in Southampton Docks The Royal Princess christened her.
It was a gorgeous sunny day the day I was due to spend the day with fellow bloggers on board and as I drove into the port, seeing the ship for the first time was actually breathtaking. She is beautiful.
Royal Princess Piazza (Atrium):
When we boarded the ship we arrived at the ships main atrium and was stunning. With her sweeping staircases and floating lights that looked like floating butterflies, I was excited to explore the rest of the Royal Princess.
The Royal Princess has 1780 cabins in total and can accommodate up to 3560 passengers. The types of cabins they offer are:
- 1438 with balconies (all outside staterooms feature a balcony)
- 36 suites
- 314 Mini-suites
- 358 Deluxe Cabins
- 730 Balcony Cabins
- 342 Inside Cabins
- 780 Additional/Upper Berths
- 36 Wheelchair accessible
We were lucky enough to be shown around a corner suite, mini-suite, penthouse suite, balcony cabins and two interior cabins on the day of our ship visit. I was very impressed with the quality of all the individual cabins. The furnishings were of a high standard, the beds looked nice and comfy and I was surprised to see how spacious the inside cabins were. It was also nice to see a choice of both a bath and separate shower in the corner suite.
Bars and Restaurants:
Royal Princess has plenty of bars, restaurant, and eateries on board. There is a selection of something for everyone. We enjoyed a 3-course meal for lunch. The food was absolutely delicious. I opted for Fettuccine Alfredo to start, Chateaubriand of Beef Tenderloin, served with fresh vegetables and berny potatoes for my main and for dessert I had Milky Chocolate-Hazelnut Soufflé.
You can choose to eat in buffet style restaurants, pizzerias, cafe eateries, sit down restaurants or you can even order 24-hour room service. For that extra special meal whilst you are on your holiday you can even choose to dine at the Captains Table!
Royal Princess has lots of bars and cafe’s dotted around the ship, perfect for sitting down and enjoying your favourite drink, taking in the atmosphere around you. Fun fact – The Martini Bar has 52 different types of martini.
You will never be short of things to do onboard the ship. Royal Princess offers such a range of entertainment so there is something to suit everyone:
- Movies Under the Stars – Day and night watch a movie on their open-air poolside screen. They show films, live football matches, and concerts. At night you can cozy up on a lounger, under a blanket with complimentary popcorn, cookies, and milk for a magical experience under the stars!
- Voice of the Ocean – Have you got what it takes to enter the singing contest?
- Watercolour Fantasy Show – Be wowed at night with this beautiful colorful water show all set to music. The fountains can shoot water up to 33 feet high!
- Orignal Musical Productions – Watch some Broadway classics, brought together from some of the Worlds top directors and choreographers.
- Music and Dancing – Get your dancing shoes on and dance away to your heart’s content, from cover bands to classical strings.
- Festivals of the Worlds – Join the party from Worlds hosts celebrating events and traditions from around the World.
- Featured Guest Entertainers – from magic to comedy, musicians to singers.
- Princess Theatre – Watch dazzling stage sets from entertainers from around the World
- Club 6 – A full bar service, giving you the change to dance the night away nightclub style.
On the day of our visit, we were shown around the Princess Theatre and we were really privileged to have a backstage tour from the theatre manager. We were taken to the dressing rooms to have a look at where the performers got dressed and put on their makeup ready for the shows. It was so interesting seeing the other side of it all and listening to all that happens behind the scenes. Fun fact – it takes two years from the first idea of a new show to it being on stage and that show will stay on performance for 5 years, and can cost a whopping 1-2 million dollars!
Royal Princess has a range of activities to keep you as busy as you want to be whilst you are onboard.
- Discovery at Sea Programmes – With their exclusive partnership with Discovery™. Stargaze on top deck with activities featuring hit shows such as shark week and finding bigfoot.
- Vagas Style Casino – Feeling lucky? Visit the onboard casino for the latest slot machines, blackjack, 21 and many more. They even offer gaming lessons.
- The Seawalk – Can you believe they have a glass walkway that goes over the ocean!!! it’s 60 feet long and 128 feet above the waves, extending 28 feet out of the ship! I can only imagine how amazing that would be to walk across when the ship was in motion.
- Princess Live – Have you ever wanted to be on tv? Now you have the chance. You can be part of the fun or go behind the scenes of their live onboard TV shows! From entertainment, games shows, live concerts and lots more.
- The Piazza – As I said above the Plazza is beautiful. You might sometimes come across street performers, or you may decide to sit and have a coffee or a glass of wine whilst you sit and admire its beauty and decor.
- The shops of Princess – Tax and duty free shopping – top brands including Calvin Klien, Estée Lauder, Swarovski, Chanel and many more.
- Art Gallery & Auctions – There are lots of lovely pieces of Art to admire on the Royal Princess. They even have auctions!
- Platinum Photography Studio – Why not get a family portrait whilst on your holidays – Skilled photographers with expert lightening will capture those moments for you.
- Fresh Water Pools and Hot Tubs – With padded loungers for relaxing and pools for cooling off in the sun.
- Sports Court – The sports hall can be used for basketball and volleyball.
- Internet Cafe and Library – Internet Cafe is open 24 hours a day and the library holds up to 2,000 books, with classics and best sellers.
- Afternoon Tea – Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or just fancy a traditional afternoon tea, set in an elegant dining room.
Swimming Pools & Spas:
Royal Princess has a freshwater pool as I mentioned under activities. You can relax and read a book on the sun loungers whilst you are bought over a cocktail to refresh you.
- The Sanctuary – On top deck this adults-only area, is absolutely delightful. With deluxe loungers, with delicate music playing in the background what more could you want whilst you sit back and relax with a drink of your choice and your favourite book. You can even rent out the more luxurious experience with a private cabana. The Sanctuary does include extra costs which can be found onboard.
- Retreat Pool – Situated next to The Sanctuary again for adults to relax and night it turns into a ‘chill lounge’ with drinks and music
- Lotus Spa Salon – Why not treat yourself – choose from a range of treatments the Lotus Spa offers.
Royal Princess offer kids clubs from the ages of 3-17! Children under the age of 3 are welcome to use the facilities but they have to be supervised by parents at all times.
Camp Discovery, The Tree House – Forest themed and for children aged 3 – 7. They can dance, play, build lego, have a pajama movie night or use the soft play area.
Camp Discovery, The Lodge – Themed like a log cabin, this is for ages 8 – 12. In here they can play air hockey, surf the internet, build rockets and they can even enter events for the children’s talent shows.
The Beach House – Somewhere for the older kids to hang out – this is aimed for teenagers 13 – 17. A perfect place to just hang out with new or old friends. It even has it’s own private deck area complete with loungers.
If you are someone who still likes to keep up some sort of fitness regime whilst you are holiday, Royal Princess has their own gym onboard, an aerobics studio and a running track that goes around the ship on the top deck. Fun Fact – 7 laps around the ship equates to 1 mile.
I thoroughly enjoyed my day with Princess Cruises onboard their Royal Princess Cruise Ship and would like to thank them for inviting me.